Sunday, July 05, 2009

an open door

I find it strange how much I love the american cowboy myth. But I do...I do so much. One thing I find particularly interesting is that there are both good and bad cowboys in the cowboy myth. At first, i didn't think this was strange/unique/whatever. But I now think its sort of special about cowboys. Because I think that a lot of times when mythological heroes turn bad, they become something else. An evil knight isn't really a night any more. He's just a guy with a sword. But the old west of myth was all about cowboys v. other cowboys (or banditos, i suppose). And I think that's kind of cool. Now, this isn't a developed theory or anything, but I think there may be something to it.

Whatever, I love cowboys. Everything about them. Normally I don't care for horses, but I love cowboys on horses. Normally I dont like guns, but man or man do I love the colt peacemaker. Hats, boots, dusters, cigarillos, everything. its all awesome.

So, I'm mildly embarssed to admit, but i have an odd obsession with "True Blood." The show is utter trash, but I find it oddly compelling. I'd say that its my thing for vampire stories, but this is outrageously trashy. Still, i find it oddly compelling.

whatever.

1 comment:

erin said...

you are not the first person i've heard say that they love that show. i saw the guy who plays the lead on that show on conan the other nite..and he's british!! like, really really british. and he very eerily demonstrated how easily he can slip in and out of that southern accent he does on the show. it was creepy and totally amazing.