Thursday, July 09, 2009

my phenominology: a beginning

I figure the best place to start is at the beginning. As Marry Poppins said, its a very good place to start

I. proof of existence
I think you have to start with Descartes. I think therefore I am. Cogito ergo sum. I think that's certainly how you have to begin. and I think its correct. We are nothing more than brains. Our experience of the world is merely the sum of the stimuli we receive from the outside world. And there must not be an object outside world, because no two people experience the world the same. Take me for example. I'm a little bit color blind. When I do those tests in the eye doctor with the numbers and the bubble colors, I can't make them all out. So I see color a bit funny. But funny is only really 'different than other people.' What's to say that the colors I see are any less true than the colors other people see? Sure, you could tell me the exact wavelength of green. But again, its our experience of the world that defines our existence. People who are brain dead--who have no experience of the outside world--are physically alive, but they are dead to the world. I do not think there for I am not. Andrew, I need a translation.

But I have a problem with I think therefore I am. What about viri? or bacteria? They don't 'think' in the same way that we do, or even in the same way that fish do. So do they not 'exist?' It would be dangerous and anthropocentric to merely rely on the 'thinking to exist' belief. Unless, I elide this arguement and more right to what does "I am" mean? More interestingly for me is: what does it mean to exist as a human in the world? What does it mean to exist as a human in the modern world? those are two different questions, I think.

Ok. that's a brief start. I like thinking thru these things. I think its important for my brain, which has been feeling sluggish recently. I'm terrified of my brain withering. I think mental exercises are necessary to stay sharp. I think this is going to be a good thing.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

1. i have a new blogger account! i can't remember what the hell my old one was (rip in-between sleep study...)

2. unrelated to your post, but very loosely related to the example of color perception you were using, i always found the psych world's debates over color somewhat interesting.

3. woah, dusting off the ol' html skills. ok... i have no idea if that link tag is going to work. am i stupid or is there an easier way to create a link here?

blah.